Want to get access to SXSW events for free? Want to meet great folks and make lifelong friends? Consider volunteering for SXSW!
Every year SXSW recruits a veritable army of volunteers, thousands of them to help setup, run and break down all the events, shows, and parties that comprise the South by Southwest experience.
To meet their goal they hold a Volunteer Call in January each year where you can go and meet the crews, learn more about the responsibilities and time commitments and what perks you can earn.
Volunteer Call Dates and Times
January 24, 2016
3PM to 5PM
Austin Convention Center, Ballroom ABC
This year they have made changes to some details:
- New volunteer types – All-Conference & Music Festival Volunteer
All-Conference Volunteers can schedule hours anytime throughout the 10 days of the SXSWeek, March 11-20, 2016, and be on up to 2 crews. When available, returning All Conference Volunteers may work some of their hours during SXSWedu, March 7-10. All-Conference Volunteers work hours toward a perk of their choice.
Music Festival Volunteers work on ONE crew during the nights of the SXSW Music Festival, March 15-20. Most Music Festival Volunteers must be age 21+. Music Festival Volunteers earn their perks based on the number of hours worked.
- All crews work hours towards perks (no shifts) In the past Conference crews tracked how many hours they worked, while Music Crews tracked whole shifts. This change makes things easier to understand and is more fair.
- New perk requirements (Much fewer hours required!)
Hours Perk Reward
24 – 47 hours VOLUNTEER SXSWedu BADGE, or 2 SXSW VOLUNTEER T-SHIRTS
48 – 63 hours VOLUNTEER GOLD or MUSIC BADGE
64 hours or more VOLUNTEER PLATINUM BADGE (reserved for Returning Volunteers)
- No Conference Crew Walk-thru (this was always a Bataan Death March through the Convention Center)
- Shorter Pre-event Meetings
- Easier sign-up process for Out of Town Volunteers
SXSW also takes Out of town volunteers, so even if you’re not from the area, go check out volunteer.sxsw.com to learn more.